Largest Verdict in a Personal Injury case
in Pennsylvania history
Largest-ever compensatory verdict
Then-second largest Product
Liability verdict in U.S. history
Auto Accident Verdict
Largest single-victim fatality settlement
Civil Rights verdict
- Watch Here For Kline & Specter News Alerts
- Tom Kline named No. 1 PA Super Lawyer record 10th straight year
- 14 at Kline & Specter named Super Lawyers, Specter in Top 10 again
- On TV ⇒ Kline & Specter files suit in unnecessary stent procedure case
- Suit filed in Seton Hill University bus crash
- Firm wins record $105 million settlement in power line death case
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline comments on possible PSU victim settlements
- Tom Kline argues before appellate panel vs. cap on jury awards
- Specter, Baldwin, Guerrini $109 million verdict among U.S.Top 10
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline comments on kidnap case
- Tom Kline named 2013 Best Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Seven at Kline & Specter named "Best Lawyers in America"
- Specter sues city over captivity and torture of 10-year-old girl
- High Court refuses case, $8.75M verdict vs. Ford stands
- Kline & Specter files suit on behalf of Eagles' Jason Peters
- Kline & Specter Courtroom dedicated at Penn Law School
- Waldenberger wins $3M verdict in cancer case
- On TV ⇒The Kline & Specter Squash Center opens at Drexel University
- Kline, Caputo win $14M verdict in Pennsbury school bus accident case
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline interviewed on Penn State case by CNN, MSNBC ...
- Kline & Specter named No. 1 Product Liability Firm in the United States
- Specter, Safier, Williams win $17.5M med-mal verdict
- On TV ⇒ Shanin Specter comments on the Ellison case, CBS3
- Guerrini wins $15M verdict in teen's death
- PA Superior Court panel upholds $8.75M Blumer verdict
- Kline & Specter wins largest-ever Erie personal injury verdict, $21.6M
- Michael Smerconish joins Kline & Specter
- On TV ⇒ Kline, Inscho, Baldwin obtain $1.8M in psychologist sex case
- Kline & Specter named among Best Law Firms in U.S.
- Trunk, Zakeosian win $11.7 million against PHA and property manager
- Kline, Specter named among nation's 500 "Leading Lawyers"
- On TV ⇒ ESPN features the Plevretes case, Shanin Specter
- Best Lawyers names Tom Kline No. 1 Phila. personal injury attorney
- See more Kline & Specter stories in the news
Surgical Staples Attorney
Pennsylvania - New Jersey - Delaware - New York - Nationwide
The use of surgical staplers results in 8,000 to 9,000 reported complications very year in the United States, with many resulting in injuries or death, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Problems include staplers that fail or misfire, staples that do not form properly, separation of suture lines and stapling devices that become stuck in patients' tissue. Patients often suffer bleeding, infection and anastomosis failure, or the separation of the surgical connection between internal organs and vessels, such as the intestine.
The FDA reported receiving reports of 2,180 injuries and 112 deaths due to surgical staplers between late 1994 and July 2001. And that, one FDA epidemiologist told The Boston Globe, is only "the tip of the iceberg" since it is estimated that only a small fraction of problems with surgical staplers is reported.
If you or someone you know suffered a serious injury or death due to use of a surgical stapler, you may want to contact a surgical staples lawyer.
The FDA estimates that of the 8,000 to 9,000 incidents reported annually involving surgical staplers, 9 percent result in injuries and less than 1 percent in fatalities. Fully 65 percent occurred in astrointestinal surgeries such as gastric bypass surgery, also known as bariatric surgery.
It said 19 percent occurred in lung surgeries, with other incidents in appendix, cardiac and circulatory system surgeries.
One common problem was leakage of blood or other body fluids, particularly from the stomach or bowel, leading to serious infection. Some patients injured by staplers were left requiring colostomies in which they had to wear an external bag to collect body waste.
It is estimated that surgical staples are used in more than 100,000 surgeries each year.
The major U.S. maker of surgical staplers is Tyco International, though many of the problems with staplers are blamed on physician error in using the devices, rather than the staplers themselves.
Kline & Specter, P.C., is a Philadelphia-based law firm with some 30 experienced attorneys. Several of the firm's attorney's are also doctors, including one who was a highly regarded transplant surgeon. Kline & Specter is one of the nation's leading law firms with the ability and experience to successfully litigate medical malpractice and medical device lawsuits.