Largest Verdict in a Personal Injury case
in Pennsylvania history
Largest-ever compensatory verdict
Then-second largest Product
Liability verdict in U.S. history
Auto Accident Verdict
Largest single-victim fatality settlement
Civil Rights verdict
- Watch Here For Kline & Specter News Alerts
- On TV ⇒ Kline & Specter files suit in unnecessary stent procedure case
- Suit filed in Seton Hill University bus crash
- Firm wins record $105 million settlement in power line death case
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline comments on possible PSU victim settlements
- Tom Kline argues before appellate panel vs. cap on jury awards
- Specter, Baldwin, Guerrini $109 million verdict among U.S.Top 10
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline comments on kidnap case
- Tom Kline named 2013 Best Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Seven at Kline & Specter named "Best Lawyers in America"
- Specter sues city over captivity and torture of 10-year-old girl
- High Court refuses case, $8.75M verdict vs. Ford stands
- Kline & Specter files suit on behalf of Eagles' Jason Peters
- Eleven at Kline & Specter selected as "Super Lawyers"
- Tom Kline named No. 1 PA lawyer 9th straight year
- Kline & Specter Courtroom dedicated at Penn Law School
- Waldenberger wins $3M verdict in cancer case
- On TV ⇒The Kline & Specter Squash Center opens at Drexel University
- Kline, Caputo win $14M verdict in Pennsbury school bus accident case
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline interviewed on Penn State case by CNN, MSNBC ...
- Kline & Specter named No. 1 Product Liability Firm in the United States
- Specter, Safier, Williams win $17.5M med-mal verdict
- On TV ⇒ Shanin Specter comments on the Ellison case, CBS3
- Guerrini wins $15M verdict in teen's death
- Specter featured on Super Lawyers magazine cover
- Tom Kline again No. 1 in PA, firm has nine named Super Lawyers
- PA Superior Court panel upholds $8.75M Blumer verdict
- Kline & Specter wins largest-ever Erie personal injury verdict, $21.6M
- Michael Smerconish joins Kline & Specter
- On TV ⇒ Kline, Inscho, Baldwin obtain $1.8M in psychologist sex case
- Kline & Specter named among Best Law Firms in U.S.
- Trunk, Zakeosian win $11.7 million against PHA and property manager
- Kline, Specter named among nation's 500 "Leading Lawyers"
- On TV ⇒ ESPN features the Plevretes case, Shanin Specter
- Best Lawyers names Tom Kline No. 1 Phila. personal injury attorney
- See more Kline & Specter stories in the news
Gilbert F. Shelsby Jr. and Robert J. Leoni
Shelsby and Leoni have won a series of seven-figure verdicts in Delaware over the years, as has Kline & Specter, among them a $36.4 million settlement in the death of an oil refinery worker in Delaware City and a $19.9 million verdict for a patient who was seriously injured in an assault in a Wilmington hospital. (more below)
Shelsby & Leoni handles cases ranging from medical malpractice to motor vehicle accidents, from workplace injuries to premises and product liability. Among Shelsby & Leoni’s major victories are a $4 million settlement for a woman who lost her kidneys due to medical malpractice and a $3.2 million verdict for a man who injured his arm and shoulder while at work.
In one recent case, Leoni in December 2012 won a verdict of more than $1 million in Kent County Superior Court for a 36-year-old woman in a missed cancer case. After her doctor told her that a biopsy was normal when it was really abnormal, the woman suffered bleeding and pain for 18 months before she was properly diagnosed with endometrial cancer. At that point her cancer had metastasized to a lymph node, forcing her to undergo chemotherapy and radiation treatment to her pelvis and vagina that could have been avoided had the cancer been diagnosed at an earlier stage. The treatments left permanent scarring that causes her severe pain during sexual intercourse.
Shelsby and Leoni share a background that gives them a unique perspective for handling plaintiffs personal injury cases. Both previously practiced insurance defense law, affording them the opportunity to learn “from the inside” how insurance companies evaluate and defend personal injury claims.
Understanding defense strategies and the resources insurance companies have at their disposal, their firm is better able to prepare cases for settlement negotiations and, if necessary, for trial. And while a fair settlement is preferred over the uncertainty of a jury verdict, Shelsby & Leoni knows that insurance companies often make smaller offers when they believe the opposing lawyers are inexperienced or lack the resources to see a complex case to its conclusion. In that realm, their firm’s association with Kline & Specter is a big advantage.
Shelsby and Leoni have great experience with the Delaware court system and a solid background in the region. Shelsby attended the University of Maryland as an undergraduate and earned his law degree from the University of Maryland School of Law, later serving as law clerk to the Hon. Joseph H. Kaplan, Circuit Court for Baltimore. Leoni graduated from the University of Delaware and Widener University School of Law and served after graduation from law school as a law clerk on the Delaware Superior Court.
Kline & Specter and its attorneys have obtained verdicts and settlements that were among the largest-ever in their jurisdictions (See Major Victories), including two record-setting Delaware cases (See the Motiva Case and the Sparber Case)
If you or a loved one have a potential personal inury case in Delaware, you should contact us today for a free evaluation of your case.
Delaware Office Address
221 Main Street
Wilmington, DE 19804