Largest Verdict in a Personal Injury case
in Pennsylvania history
Largest-ever compensatory verdict
Then-second largest Product
Liability verdict in U.S. history
Auto Accident Verdict
Largest single-victim fatality settlement
Civil Rights verdict
- Click Here For Kline & Specter News Alerts
- 15 at Kline & Specter named Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline files suit deadly NJ gas explosion - see coverage (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline files suit in death of radio host E. Steven Collins (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Specter files suit in fatal fire escape collapse (click here)
- PA Supreme Court to hear Tom Kline appeal on liability cap law (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline interviewed on abduction case anniversary
- Kline, Safier, Clarke win $42.9M med-mal verdict -- one of PA's largest (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Shanin Specter interviewed on house explosion lawsuit (click here)
- Kline, Guerrini, Williams win $11.6M premises liability settlement (click here)
- Study: Kline & Specter tops in major PA verdicts, settlements (click here)
- Kline & Specter had largest award vs. VA in 10 years (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Shanin Specter comments on the Ellison case, CBS3
- Kline & Specter settles first Penn State sexual abuse case (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Andy Stern comments on building collapse video (click here)
- Tom Kline named No. 1 PA Super Lawyer record 10th straight year
- 14 at Kline & Specter named Super Lawyers, Specter in Top 10 again
- On TV ⇒ Kline & Specter files suit in unnecessary stent procedure case
- Firm wins record $105 million settlement in power line death case
- Tom Kline argues before appellate panel vs. cap on jury awards
- Specter, Baldwin, Guerrini $109 million verdict among U.S.Top 10
- Tom Kline named 2013 Best Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Seven at Kline & Specter named "Best Lawyers in America"
- Kline & Specter Courtroom dedicated at Penn Law School
- Kline & Specter named No. 1 Product Liability Firm in the United States
- Kline, Specter named among nation's 500 "Leading Lawyers"
- On TV ⇒ ESPN features the Plevretes case, Shanin Specter
- Best Lawyers names Tom Kline No. 1 Phila. personal injury attorney
- Specter, Safier, Williams win $17.5M med-mal verdict
- See more Kline & Specter stories in the news
Diet Drug Side Effects Claims Lawyers
Pennsylvania - New Jersey - New York
DIET DRUGS "Fen-Phen" - Pondimin, Redux
Many dieting Americans turned to medication in the 1990s to help them lose weight. Among the most popular was a combination of drugs that went by the nickname of "fen-phen," for fenfluramine (brand names Pondimin, Redux) and phentermine. The fen-phen diet duo showed good results, so much so that sales of these drugs topped a reported $5.6 billion by 1994.
But then a problem arose, a serious problem. In July 1997, researchers at the Mayo Clinic reported that women who had taken fen-phen developed heart valve dysfunction. Some 30 percent of fen-phen users tested suffered from the rare ailment. Reports surfaced also linking fen-phen to primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH), a potentially fatal disease.
On Sept. 15, 1997, two months after the Mayo Clinic report, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration removed Pondimin and Redux from the market. (Phentermine was not recalled and is still available.)
There have been a number of fen-phen lawsuits, with the first case to reach a verdict ending in a $23.4 million award for a Texas woman. Many lawsuits followed, and in 1999 the manufacturer of Pondimin and Redux, American Home Products Corp., agreed to a $3.75 billion settlement to pay patient claims. The funds are targeted for refunds as well as testing and compensation to people who suffered injuries as a result of taking Pondimin and Redux.
As many as six million people are estimated to have used fen-phen. The risk of heart valve damage from using fen-phen is considered greater among those who used it longer, particularly if it was taken for more than three months.
Symptoms of heart valve problems may not manifest until two to five years after taking the drug. They include shortness of breath, swelling of extremities, chest pain, palpitations, increased blood pressure, irregular heart beat, heart murmur, fatigue, fainting and dizziness.
Symptoms of PPH, caused by a narrowing of the blood vessel that supplies blood to the lungs, include shortness of breath, chest pain, weakness, fatigue and fainting.
If you or someone you know used Pondimin or Redux and suffered heart valve dysfunction or PPH, click here to contact an experienced Diet Drug Claims Attorney.