Largest Verdict in a Personal Injury case
in Pennsylvania history
Largest-ever compensatory verdict
Then-second largest Product
Liability verdict in U.S. history
Auto Accident Verdict
Largest single-victim fatality settlement
Civil Rights verdict
- Watch Here For Kline & Specter News Alerts
- Tom Kline named No. 1 PA Super Lawyer record 10th straight year
- 14 at Kline & Specter named Super Lawyers, Specter in Top 10 again
- On TV ⇒ Kline & Specter files suit in unnecessary stent procedure case
- Suit filed in Seton Hill University bus crash
- Firm wins record $105 million settlement in power line death case
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline comments on possible PSU victim settlements
- Tom Kline argues before appellate panel vs. cap on jury awards
- Specter, Baldwin, Guerrini $109 million verdict among U.S.Top 10
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline comments on kidnap case
- Tom Kline named 2013 Best Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Seven at Kline & Specter named "Best Lawyers in America"
- Specter sues city over captivity and torture of 10-year-old girl
- High Court refuses case, $8.75M verdict vs. Ford stands
- Kline & Specter files suit on behalf of Eagles' Jason Peters
- Kline & Specter Courtroom dedicated at Penn Law School
- Waldenberger wins $3M verdict in cancer case
- On TV ⇒The Kline & Specter Squash Center opens at Drexel University
- Kline, Caputo win $14M verdict in Pennsbury school bus accident case
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline interviewed on Penn State case by CNN, MSNBC ...
- Kline & Specter named No. 1 Product Liability Firm in the United States
- Specter, Safier, Williams win $17.5M med-mal verdict
- On TV ⇒ Shanin Specter comments on the Ellison case, CBS3
- Guerrini wins $15M verdict in teen's death
- PA Superior Court panel upholds $8.75M Blumer verdict
- Kline & Specter wins largest-ever Erie personal injury verdict, $21.6M
- Michael Smerconish joins Kline & Specter
- On TV ⇒ Kline, Inscho, Baldwin obtain $1.8M in psychologist sex case
- Kline & Specter named among Best Law Firms in U.S.
- Trunk, Zakeosian win $11.7 million against PHA and property manager
- Kline, Specter named among nation's 500 "Leading Lawyers"
- On TV ⇒ ESPN features the Plevretes case, Shanin Specter
- Best Lawyers names Tom Kline No. 1 Phila. personal injury attorney
- See more Kline & Specter stories in the news
Pennsylvania - New Jersey - Delaware - New York - Nationwide
Cleft palate and cleft lip birth defects have been associated with Topamax, the anti-seizure and migraine medicine, when taken by women during pregnancy.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning about Topamax, generically topiramate, in March 2011 after registry data indicated that mouth defects were 20 times more prevalent among pregnant women who used the drug.
If your child was born with a birth defect such as a cleft palate or cleft lip after the use of Topamax or topiramate, you may want to contact a Topamax lawyer.
Kline & Specter, P.C., a Philadelphia-based law firm, has had success in birth defect cases and pharmaceutical cases in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and across the country. The law firm has some 30 attorneys, several of whom are also doctors (including two OB/GYNs), with the expertise to investigate and litigate Topamax and topiramate cases.
Topamax is an anticonvulsant drug that is used alone or with other medications to treat certain epileptic seizures and has also been approved to treat migraine headaches.
It is also prescribed “off label” to treat other forms of headaches, obesity, bipolar disorder, alcoholism, PTSD, infantile spasm, depression and autism.
The FDA warned woman of child-bearing age about possible craniofacial deformities linked to Topamax after data collected from a registry of pregnant woman showed a threefold rate of mouth defects in infants who were exposed to the drug compared with those exposed to other anti-seizure drugs. The rate was 20 times that in babies born to women who used no seizure medication.
The FDA raised Topamax and topiramte to a Pregnancy Category D status, meaning there is evidence the drug can harm a fetus, although it notes some instances in which the risk of oral defects were outweighed by the benefit of an expectant mother using the medicine.
Made by Ortho-McNeil Neurologics, a division of Johnson & Johnson, was approved in 1995 to treat seizures and in 2004 to treat migraines. It had been previously associated with certain side effects including certain birth defects and male genital defects, and also eye ailments such as acute myopia and secondary angle closure glaucoma.
Kline & Specter has won many large verdicts and settlements (See Major Victories). Founding partner Tom Kline has extensive experience in litigating birth injury cases, including the representation of children who were born with cleft palates whose mothers took the drug Bendectin prior to its withdrawal from the market, going back to the 1980's. Kline has obtained jury verdicts for children born with limb deformities, including jury verdicts of $2 million and $19.2 million."
Click here to contact a Topamax attorney today.