Kline & Specter, P.C., is a preeminent law firm in the United States concentrating in catastrophic injury litigation and whistleblower representation.
The firm has achieved more verdicts and settlements in excess of $10 million than any law firm in Pennsylvania, noted a recent study of all cases since 1994 by The Legal Intelligencer (read the article). The firm had as many such reported cases as the next three firms combined, including a $109 million verdict (and subsequent $105 million settlement) in a wrongful death case. Kline & Specter won the four largest verdicts in Philadelphia in 2015.
Kline & Specter is headed by attorneys Tom Kline and Shanin Specter, both named among the top ten lawyers in Pennsylvania by Super Lawyers, among the best lawyers in America by several other independent surveys and elected as members of the Inner Circle of Advocates, a select group of 100 of the nation's most celebrated trial lawyers. Both are recipients of the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s prestigious Justice Michael A. Musmanno Award.
The firm has won acclaim across the country, including:
- Cited as "one of the country’s leading personal injury firms," Philadelphia Inquirer
- Called "the most powerful plaintiffs firm in the city," Philadelphia Business Journal
- Referred to as "a powerhouse law firm," The New York Times
- Chosen by The National Law Journal for America’s Elite Trial Lawyers, one of only 50 firms chosen.
- Selected by Super Lawyers among 50 firms in the United States for its excellence in litigation award.
- Named among the nation's Best Law Firms by U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers.
- Winner of The Legal Intelligencer’s 2016 “Litigation Department of the Year” Award for Medical Malpractice
The law firm, with more than 35 attorneys, five of whom are also highly skilled doctors, has unparalleled expertise and unsurpassed success in medical malpractice litigation. Year after year, Kline & Specter has had the most medical malpractice verdicts and settlements of any Pennsylvania firm. No law firm in the United States has as many M.D.-J.Ds.
Kline & Specter attorneys were leaders in the $4.85 billion Vioxx settlement while other verdicts and settlements are among the largest in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and across the United States in practice areas ranging from medical malpractice to workplace injuries, auto accidents to premises and products liability, pharmaceutical to civil rights. Some of the most notable:
- $153 and $52 million verdicts vs. Ford (see The White Case)
- $109 million verdict in electrocution death (Goretzka)
- $100 million verdict for a baby injury case (Vlasny)
- $51 million verdict in an escalator amputation case (Hall)
- $49.6 million verdict in a hospital error case (Caruso)
- $46.5 million verdict in factory shooting deaths (Brown/Wilson)
- $40.5 million settlement in a building fire (Village Green)
- $38.2 million verdict in an auto accident case (Robley)
- $36.4 million settlement in a refinery explosion (Motiva)
- $33.1 million verdict in a breast cancer case (Welteroth)
- $35 million settlement in a business fire case (Bridgeport)
- $29.6 million settlement in a fatal pier collapse (Pier 34)
- $27.6 million verdict for woman hurt making a knee device video (Polett)
- $25 million verdict in woman’s fatal fertility treatment (Matteo)
- $24 million verdict in a swimming pool accident case (Weightman)
- $21.6 million verdict in a birth injury case (Graham)
- $20 million verdict in an ICU malpractice case (Gallagher)
- $20 million verdict for neonatal malpractice resulting in blindness (Lee)
- (For news articles and TV clips on these and other cases, see Major Victories)
Beyond monetary awards, the firm’s cases have caused safety changes in government and industry. Litigation has spurred action for product recalls, changes in hospital protocols and new rules for citizen protection. The Hall case, for instance, prompted SEPTA to upgrade all its escalators to include safety devices. In the Gillyard/Rich civil rights case, Shanin Specter got the Philadelphia Police Department to establish new guidelines requiring safer operation of squad cars. And the firm’s representation of a victim in the Penn State child sexual abuse case will hopefully help lead to changes in the university’s policies and practices.
Kline & Specter and its attorneys also make substantial contributions to a long list of charities and public institutions in the community (see our Charities page), including the recent donation of $50 million by Tom Kline to the Drexel University School of Law. (See news coverage)
In addition to litigating a vast array of individual personal injury cases, Kline & Specter currently represents women in state and federal court who were injured by transvaginal mesh.
The firm, with several former prosecutors among its attorneys, also handles False Claims Act cases filed under seal in courts around the country as well as clients with claims filed under the Internal Revenue Service’s whistleblower program. Our qui tam cases, both those in suit and those under investigation, involve a variety of fraud on federal government programs, including schemes by large health care companies and institutions to defraud Medicare and Medicaid. Our IRS whistleblower clients have reported tens of millions of dollars worth of tax fraud to the government. (Visit our whistleblower website)
Kline & Specter dedicates true attention to each client. The skill and experience of its attorneys, along with innovative trial strategies and the use of the latest in courtroom technology, helps to ensure a high success rate with maximum results.
Kline & Specter, P.C. works on a contingent fee basis – which means we only get paid if and when you are financially compensated. Kline & Specter is paid a percentage of the amount recovered. Any costs incurred by Kline & Specter will only be charged if the client is financially compensated.
After a very careful screening process, Kline & Specter takes only cases it believes to be meritorious.
Contact a personal injury attorney or whistleblower attorney today.
Read More >