Largest Verdict in a Personal Injury case
in Pennsylvania history
Largest-ever compensatory verdict
Then-second largest Product
Liability verdict in U.S. history
Auto Accident Verdict
Largest single-victim fatality settlement
Civil Rights verdict
- Click Here For Kline & Specter News Alerts
- 15 at Kline & Specter named Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline files suit deadly NJ gas explosion - see coverage (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline files suit in death of radio host E. Steven Collins (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Specter files suit in fatal fire escape collapse (click here)
- PA Supreme Court to hear Tom Kline appeal on liability cap law (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline interviewed on abduction case anniversary
- Kline, Safier, Clarke win $42.9M med-mal verdict -- one of PA's largest (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Shanin Specter interviewed on house explosion lawsuit (click here)
- Kline, Guerrini, Williams win $11.6M premises liability settlement (click here)
- Study: Kline & Specter tops in major PA verdicts, settlements (click here)
- Kline & Specter had largest award vs. VA in 10 years (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Shanin Specter comments on the Ellison case, CBS3
- Kline & Specter settles first Penn State sexual abuse case (click here)
- On TV ⇒ Andy Stern comments on building collapse video (click here)
- Tom Kline named No. 1 PA Super Lawyer record 10th straight year
- 14 at Kline & Specter named Super Lawyers, Specter in Top 10 again
- On TV ⇒ Kline & Specter files suit in unnecessary stent procedure case
- Firm wins record $105 million settlement in power line death case
- Tom Kline argues before appellate panel vs. cap on jury awards
- Specter, Baldwin, Guerrini $109 million verdict among U.S.Top 10
- Tom Kline named 2013 Best Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Seven at Kline & Specter named "Best Lawyers in America"
- Kline & Specter Courtroom dedicated at Penn Law School
- Kline & Specter named No. 1 Product Liability Firm in the United States
- Kline, Specter named among nation's 500 "Leading Lawyers"
- On TV ⇒ ESPN features the Plevretes case, Shanin Specter
- Best Lawyers names Tom Kline No. 1 Phila. personal injury attorney
- Specter, Safier, Williams win $17.5M med-mal verdict
- See more Kline & Specter stories in the news
Personal Injury Litigation ● Whistleblower Representation
Pennsylvania - New Jersey - Delaware - New York - Nationwide
Kline & Specter, P.C., is among the preeminent law firms in the United States concentrating in catastrophic injury litigation and whistleblower representation.
The firm has achieved more verdicts and settlements of $10 million or more than any other law firm in Pennsylvania, noted a recent study of all cases since 1994 by The Legal Intelligencer (read the article). The firm had 26 such publicly reported cases, as many as the next three firms combined, capped by the recent $109 million verdict (and subsequent $105 million settlement) in a wrongful death case.
Kline & Specter is headed by attorneys Tom Kline and Shanin Specter, both named among the "Best Lawyers in America," Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, and as members of the Inner Circle of Advocates, a select group limited to 100 of the nation’s best plaintiffs attorneys. The firm has won acclaim across the country, most recently named by the independent rating service Super Lawyers as one of just 50 in the country chosen for their excellence in litigation. Kline & Specter was also selected among the Best Law Firms in the United States for 2012-2014 by U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers after winning major settlements and jury verdicts in a wide array of practice areas ranging from medical malpractice to workplace injuries, auto accidents to premises and products liability, pharmaceutical to civil rights.
The firm, with some 30 attorneys, five of whom are also highly skilled doctors, has unparalleled expertise and unsurpassed success in medical malpractice litigation. Year after year, Kline & Specter has had the most medical malpractice verdicts and settlements of any Pennsylvania firm. No law firm in the United States has as many M.D.-J.Ds.
Kline & Specter attorneys were leaders in the $4.85 billion Vioxx settlement while other verdicts and settlements are among the largest in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and across the United States. Some of the most notable:
- $153 and $52 million verdicts vs. Ford (see The White Case)
- $109 million verdict in electrocution death (Goretzka)
- $100 million verdict for a baby injury case (Vlasny)
- $51 million verdict in an escalator amputation case (Hall)
- $49.6 million verdict in a hospital error case (Caruso)
- $40.5 million settlement in a building fire (Village Green)
- $38.2 million verdict in an auto accident case (Robley)
- $36.4 million settlement in a refinery explosion (Motiva)
- $33.1 million verdict in a breast cancer case (Welteroth)
- $35 million settlement in a business fire case (Bridgeport)
- $29.6 million settlement in a fatal pier collapse (Pier 34)
- $27.6 million verdict for woman hurt making a knee device video (Polett)
- $25 million verdict in woman’s fatal fertility treatment (Matteo)
- $24 million verdict in a swimming pool accident case (Weightman)
- $21.6 million verdict in a birth injury case (Graham)
- $20 million verdict in an ICU malpractice case (Gallagher)
- $20 million verdict for neonatal malpractice resulting in blindness (Lee)
- (For news articles and TV clips on these and other cases, see Major Victories)
Beyond monetary awards, the firm’s cases have caused safety changes in government and industry. Litigation has spurred action for product recalls, changes in hospital protocols and new rules for citizen protection. The Hall case, for instance, prompted SEPTA to upgrade all its escalators to include safety devices. In the Gillyard/Rich civil rights case, Shanin Specter got the Philadelphia Police Department to establish new guidelines requiring safer operation of squad cars. And the firm’s representation of a victim in the Penn State child sexual abuse case will hopefully help lead to changes in the university’s policies and practices.
In addition to litigating a vast array of individual personal injury cases, Kline & Specter currently represents women in state and federal court who were injured by transvaginal mesh.
The firm, with several former prosecutors among its attorneys, also handles False Claims Act cases filed under seal in courts around the country as well as clients with claims filed under the Internal Revenue Service’s whistleblower program. Our qui tam cases, both those in suit and those under investigation, involve a variety of fraud on federal government programs, including schemes by large health care companies and institutions to defraud Medicare and Medicaid. Our IRS whistleblower clients have reported tens of millions of dollars worth of tax fraud to the government. (Visit our whistleblower website)
Kline & Specter dedicates true attention to each client. The skill and experience of its attorneys, along with innovative trial strategies and the use of the latest in courtroom technology, helps to ensure a high success rate with maximum results.
Kline & Specter, P.C. works on a contingent fee basis – which means we only get paid if and when you are financially compensated. Kline & Specter is paid a percentage of the amount recovered. Any costs incurred by Kline & Specter will only be charged if the client is financially compensated.
After a very careful screening process, Kline & Specter takes only cases it believes to be meritorious.