Largest Verdict in a Personal Injury case
in Pennsylvania history
Largest-ever compensatory verdict
Then-second largest Product
Liability verdict in U.S. history
Auto Accident Verdict
Largest single-victim fatality settlement
Civil Rights verdict
- Watch Here For Kline & Specter News Alerts
- Andy Stern representing woman trapped in building collapse
- Tom Kline named No. 1 PA Super Lawyer record 10th straight year
- 14 at Kline & Specter named Super Lawyers, Specter in Top 10 again
- On TV ⇒ Kline & Specter files suit in unnecessary stent procedure case
- Suit filed in Seton Hill University bus crash
- Firm wins record $105 million settlement in power line death case
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline comments on possible PSU victim settlements
- Tom Kline argues before appellate panel vs. cap on jury awards
- Specter, Baldwin, Guerrini $109 million verdict among U.S.Top 10
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline comments on kidnap case
- Tom Kline named 2013 Best Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Seven at Kline & Specter named "Best Lawyers in America"
- Specter sues city over captivity and torture of 10-year-old girl
- High Court refuses case, $8.75M verdict vs. Ford stands
- Kline & Specter files suit on behalf of Eagles' Jason Peters
- Kline & Specter Courtroom dedicated at Penn Law School
- Waldenberger wins $3M verdict in cancer case
- On TV ⇒The Kline & Specter Squash Center opens at Drexel University
- Kline, Caputo win $14M verdict in Pennsbury school bus accident case
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline interviewed on Penn State case by CNN, MSNBC ...
- Kline & Specter named No. 1 Product Liability Firm in the United States
- Specter, Safier, Williams win $17.5M med-mal verdict
- On TV ⇒ Shanin Specter comments on the Ellison case, CBS3
- Guerrini wins $15M verdict in teen's death
- PA Superior Court panel upholds $8.75M Blumer verdict
- Kline & Specter wins largest-ever Erie personal injury verdict, $21.6M
- Michael Smerconish joins Kline & Specter
- On TV ⇒ Kline, Inscho, Baldwin obtain $1.8M in psychologist sex case
- Kline & Specter named among Best Law Firms in U.S.
- Trunk, Zakeosian win $11.7 million against PHA and property manager
- Kline, Specter named among nation's 500 "Leading Lawyers"
- On TV ⇒ ESPN features the Plevretes case, Shanin Specter
- Best Lawyers names Tom Kline No. 1 Phila. personal injury attorney
- See more Kline & Specter stories in the news
Personal Injury Litigation ● Whistleblower Representation
Pennsylvania - New Jersey - Delaware - New York - Nationwide
Kline & Specter, P.C., is among the preeminent law firms in the United States concentrating in catastrophic injury litigation and whistleblower representation.
The firm has achieved by far more verdicts and settlements of $10 million or more than any other law firm in Pennsylvania, noted a recent study of all cases since 1994 by The Legal Intelligencer (read the article). The firm had 26 such cases, capped by the recent $109 million verdict (and subsequent $105 million settlement) in a wrongful death case. (See all of our Major Victories)
Kline & Specter is headed by attorneys Tom Kline and Shanin Specter, both named among the "Best Lawyers in America," Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, and as members of the Inner Circle of Advocates, a select group limited to 100 of the nation’s best plaintiffs attorneys. The firm has won acclaim across the country — including being named among the BEST LAW FIRMS in the United States for 2012-2013 by U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers — after winning major settlements and jury verdicts in a wide array of practice areas ranging from medical malpractice to workplace injuries, auto accidents to premises and products liability, pharmaceutical to civil rights.
The firm, with some 30 attorneys, seven of whom are also highly skilled doctors, has unparalleled expertise and unsurpassed success in medical malpractice litigation. Year after year, Kline & Specter has had the most medical malpractice verdicts and settlements of any Pennsylvania firm (see Medical Malpractice Major Victories). And no law firm in the United States has as many M.D.-J.Ds.
Kline & Specter attorneys were leaders in the $4.85 billion Vioxx settlement while other verdicts and settlements are among the largest in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and across the United States. Some of the most notable:
- $153 and $52 million verdicts vs. Ford (see The White Case)
- $109 million verdict in electrocution death (Goretzka)
- $100 million verdict for a baby injury case (Vlasny)
- $51 million verdict in an escalator amputation case (Hall)
- $49.6 million verdict in a hospital error case (Caruso)
- $40.5 million settlement in a building fire (Village Green)
- $38.2 million verdict in an auto accident case (Robley)
- $36.4 million settlement in a refinery explosion (Motiva)
- $33.1 million verdict in a breast cancer case (Welteroth)
- $35 million settlement in a business fire case (Bridgeport)
- $29.6 million settlement in a fatal pier collapse (Pier 34)
- $27.6 million verdict for woman hurt making a knee device video (Polett)
- $25 million verdict in woman’s fatal fertility treatment (Matteo)
- $24 million verdict in a swimming pool accident case (Weightman)
- $21.6 million verdict in a birth injury case (Graham)
- $20 million verdict in an ICU malpractice case (Gallagher)
- $20 million verdict for neonatal malpractice resulting in blindness (Lee)
- (For more, see Major Victories)
Beyond monetary awards, the firm’s cases have caused safety changes in government and industry. Litigation has spurred action for product recalls, changes in hospital protocols and new rules for citizen protection. The Hall case, for instance, prompted SEPTA to upgrade all its escalators to include safety devices. In the Gillyard/Rich civil rights case, Shanin Specter got the Philadelphia Police Department to establish new guidelines requiring safer operation of squad cars. And the firm’s representation of a victim in the Penn State child sexual abuse case will hopefully help lead to changes in the university’s policies and practices.
In addition to litigating a vast array of individual personal injury cases, Kline & Specter currently represents women in state and federal court who were injured by transvaginal mesh.
The firm, with several former prosecutors among its attorneys, also handles False Claims Act cases filed under seal in courts around the country as well as clients with claims filed under the Internal Revenue Service’s whistleblower program. Our qui tam cases, both those in suit and those under investigation, involve a variety of fraud on federal government programs, including schemes by large health care companies and institutions to defraud Medicare and Medicaid. Our IRS whistleblower clients have reported tens of millions of dollars worth of tax fraud to the government. (Visit our whistleblower website)
Kline & Specter dedicates true attention to each client. The skill and experience of its attorneys, along with innovative trial strategies and the use of the latest in courtroom technology, helps to ensure a high success rate with maximum results.
Kline & Specter, P.C. works on a contingent fee basis – which means we only get paid if and when you are financially compensated. Kline & Specter is paid a percentage of the amount recovered. Any costs incurred by Kline & Specter will only be charged if the client is financially compensated.
After a very careful screening process, Kline & Specter takes only cases it believes to be meritorious.