According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), "at least 4,000 surgical errors occur in the United States each year." A particular type of medical malpractice, surgical errors may include:
- Wrong-Site Surgery
- Surgical Instruments Left in the Body
- Incision Errors
- Anesthesia and Medication Errors
- Nerve Damage
- Trauma to Surrounding Areas
The NIH has found that most surgical errors occur before and after the procedure instead of during the operation itself, adding them to the larger issue of general medical errors, a leading cause of death in the United States.
Some of the principal causes of surgical errors are a lack of training, gaps in communication, and the use of unreliable protocols. General negligence and inattention can also play a direct role in patient harm. Unfortunately, hospital staff may feel uncomfortable contradicting a surgeon. According to the NIH, "An attitude that a surgeon's decisions should not be questioned" is a critical risk factor for surgical errors. This is consistent with previous studies, which found doctors themselves are unlikely to confront or challenge their peers, even when malpractice is evident.
Our Experience with Medical Errors
Kline & Specter, PC has a team of more than 50 attorneys, five of whom are also medical doctors. We have helped secure millions for victims of surgical errors, including significant victories such as:
- $47 Million for a child injured in a post-birth procedure
- $21.8 Million for a man left blind by a prolonged back surgery
- $15.2 Million for a baby left with brain damage after heart surgery
- $9.7 Million for a man who suffered a brain injury following a surgical error
- $870,000 for a man whose left testicle was removed instead of his right. This verdict included $250,000 in punitive damages
Our firm has secured some of the country's largest medical malpractice verdicts and settlements. We strive to set legal precedent in addition to obtaining compensation for our clients. We offer free case reviews for serious medical malpractice claims. Please call 215-772-1000 to learn more.
Kline & Specter is one of the most successful and effective personal injury law firms in the country. We have offices in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Delaware. We work with partners from other firms for cases outside of these areas.