A recent article in JAMA Surgery reported that seven procedures account for 80 percent of the deaths, complications, and costs associated with the nearly three million emergency surgeries performed each year.
Researchers found upon reviewing 421,476 patient records for 2008-2011 that seven procedures related to the digestive system and abdominal region were responsible for the majority of deaths and costs. These included:
- Removing part of the colon
- Small-bowel resection
- Removing the gallbladder
- Operations for peptic ulcer disease
- Removing abdominal adhesions
- Other abdominal operations
All surgeries come with some risk of complications and these operations are no different. Some of the more serious issues that arise are:
- Internal bleeding
- Intestinal obstruction
The study reported that up to 15 percent of patients undergoing operations involving the GI tract had to be re-admitted within a month of surgery. Sadly, many of the complications and fatalities were likely preventable and were caused by errors made by medical professionals.
All medical professionals owe their patients quality care. When doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals fail to provide an acceptable standard of care and that failure results in injury to the patient, those medical professionals can be held liable for the harm they cause patients.
At Kline & Specter, PC, our experienced litigators have won millions of dollars for victims of medical malpractice. With five accomplished doctors on our team of attorneys, we have the medical knowledge and legal skill to fully investigate your medical malpractice case and fight for the justice your family deserves.
Major victories our attorneys have achieved for our clients include:
- The largest-ever medical malpractice verdict in Pennsylvania: $100 million for an infant who suffered severe brain damage due to doctors’ errors
- A record setting (at the time) verdict for $49 million for a young man left severely brain damaged due to hospital errors
- One of the largest medical malpractice verdicts in Pennsylvania history for $42.9 million for injuries sustained by a baby girl during birth at a Philadelphia hospital
Have you suffered injuries or lost a loved one due to mistakes during emergency surgery? Call Kline & Specter today at 800-243-1100 for a free case consultation. We welcome clients throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware and across the United States. Where appropriate or required under local rules, we work along with local counsel.