Posted: October 11, 2012

 A dozen people have died and more than 100 have been sickened by an outbreak of meningitis caused by a steroid spinal injection contaminated with a fungus. The unsafe drug, used to treat back pain, was made by a Massachusetts compounding pharmacy and was sold to 75 clinics throughout 23 states. The form of meningitis spread by the steroid medicine is considered particularly dangerous because when the disease is caused by a fungus -- rather than a virus or bacteria -- it can cause strokes. A number of victims in the current outbreak have reported suffering strokes. Meningitis symptoms include high fever, stiff neck, pain in the neck and shoulder, light sensitivity, nausea, confusion, sleepiness and seizures. Learn more about spinal injection meningitis.