Kline & Specter is representing clients — most recently winning an $8 billion verdict against Johnson & Johnson — in cases involving Risperdal, an anti-psychotic medication that has been linked to abnormal breast development in male patients, an incurable condition known as gynecomastia.
The ailment affects boys, adolescents and adults and is caused by an increase in the hormone prolactin among users of Risperdal, which is used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and autism in children. Often the only treatment is surgery.
If you or a loved one took Risperdal that resulted in abnormal male breast growth, you should contact a Risperdal attorney today.
Kline & Specter, PC, is currently representing more than 250 clients in lawsuits already filed in court and is investigating other possible claims of clients who used Risperdal and are suffering gynecomastia. Most recently, in October 2019, the firm won an $8 billion verdict handed down by a Philadelphia jury against J&J and subsidiary Janssen Pharmaceuticals, the maker of Risperdal. The verdict was the first punitive damages award permitted in the Philadelphia court system, where thousands of Risperdal cases remain pending. In his closing statement at the trial, Tom Kline told the jury of the “shameless" conduct by J&J and Janssen, which he described as using an organized scheme to make billions of dollars while illegally marketing and promoting the drug off-label. (read news article)
In early 2015, Kline won a bellwether case in the Risperdal litigation – a $2.5 million verdict in Philadelphia for a young autistic man, Austin Pledger.
The law firm is co-counsel on these lawsuits with Sheller, PC, a pioneer of the Risperdal litigation. Both firms are based in Philadelphia and handle cases nationwide. The Kline & Specter and Sheller firms are co-liason counsel coordinating the litigation and the two firms are trial counsel in upcoming trials of Risperdal cases.
Kline & Specter, with more than 40 attorneys, five of whom are also highly skilled medical doctors, has had great success in pharmaceutical litigation, including playing an important role in the $4.85 billion Vioxx settlement. Tom Kline was a member of the steering committee of the national Vioxx litigation and was described as a "key player" in the litigation by The Wall Street Journal. Kline will be lead counsel in upcoming Risperdal trials.
Risperdal, generically risperidone, was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 1993 to treat adults with schizophrenia. It was first approved to treat children and teens 10 years later, with subsequent approvals coming in later years. Risperdal is made by Johnson & Johnson subsidiary Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc.
When considering counsel for Risperdal litigation, we suggest you take into account the experience of your lawyer in pharmaceutical litigation, where Kline & Specter has been a leader, and in Risperdal litigation, which was pioneered by the Sheller law firm.
If you or a loved one has developed gynecomastia after using Risperdal, please call us at 800-243-1100 to schedule a free consultation with our Risperdal lawyers.
- Jury awards $500K in Risperdal Case, The Legal Intelligencer, 12/11/15
- Jury awards $1.75 million to Risperdal victim, The Legal Intelligencer, 11/10/15
- Tom Kline wins first Risperdal case, The Philadelphia Inquirer, 2/25/15
- Man, 20, awarded $2.5M in damages after drug gave him breasts, Philadelphia Daily News, 2/25/15
- $2.5M verdict awarded in first Phila. Risperdal trial, The Legal Intelligencer, 2/25/15
Other Risperdal News:
- Phila. Court Cues Up Appeal Over Risperdal Punitive Damages Issue, The Legal Intelligencer, 5/25/16
- Risperdal Case Settles, but No Global Accord Is Seen, The Legal Intelligencer, 5/19/16
- Judge Rejects J&J's Bid to Re-Depose Risperdal Expert, The Legal Intelligencer 4/14/16
- Pelvic Mesh and Risperdal Trials Show Punitive Damages Impact, The Legal Intelligencer, 2/20/16
- Judge rules for plaintiffs in Risperdal trial, The Legal Intelligencer, 11/13/15
- New Release 11/10/15
- Risperdal trials expected to continue, The Legal Intelligencer, 11/11/15
- Kline & Specter joins forces with Texas law firm in Risperdal litigation, with total 8,000 clients. Read news release, 10/28/15
- Third Risperdal trial against J&J begins in Philadelphia, The Legal Intelligencer, 10/16/15
- J&J’s Marketing of Risperdal for children slammed in trial, Law360, 10/15/15
- Trial judge says dismissal of Risperdal suits should be affirmed, The Legal Intelligencer, 10/8/15
- Huffington Post 15-part DocuSeries on Risperdal, 9/2015
- More Risperdal Cases head to trial, The Legal Intelligencer, 8/19/15
- The 'ADHD drug' that gives boys breast, The Daily Beast, 6/12/15
- Risperdal accords don't mean swift end to litigation, The Legal Intelligencer, 6/1/15
- J&J Biochemist testifies company never gave FDA Risperdal safety analysis it knew about for years, New Brunswick Today, 5/16/15
- Johnson & Johnson loses first Risperdal jury trial, The Philadelphia Inquirer, 2/25/15