Largest Verdict in a Personal Injury case
in Pennsylvania history
Largest-ever compensatory verdict
Then-second largest Product
Liability verdict in U.S. history
Auto Accident Verdict
Largest single-victim fatality settlement
Civil Rights verdict
- Watch Here For Kline & Specter News Alerts
- On TV ⇒ Kline & Specter files suit in unnecessary stent procedure case
- Suit filed in Seton Hill University bus crash
- Firm wins record $105 million settlement in power line death case
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline comments on possible PSU victim settlements
- Tom Kline argues before appellate panel vs. cap on jury awards
- Specter, Baldwin, Guerrini $109 million verdict among U.S.Top 10
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline comments on kidnap case
- Tom Kline named 2013 Best Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Seven at Kline & Specter named "Best Lawyers in America"
- Specter sues city over captivity and torture of 10-year-old girl
- High Court refuses case, $8.75M verdict vs. Ford stands
- Kline & Specter files suit on behalf of Eagles' Jason Peters
- Eleven at Kline & Specter selected as "Super Lawyers"
- Tom Kline named No. 1 PA lawyer 9th straight year
- Kline & Specter Courtroom dedicated at Penn Law School
- Waldenberger wins $3M verdict in cancer case
- On TV ⇒The Kline & Specter Squash Center opens at Drexel University
- Kline, Caputo win $14M verdict in Pennsbury school bus accident case
- On TV ⇒ Tom Kline interviewed on Penn State case by CNN, MSNBC ...
- Kline & Specter named No. 1 Product Liability Firm in the United States
- Specter, Safier, Williams win $17.5M med-mal verdict
- On TV ⇒ Shanin Specter comments on the Ellison case, CBS3
- Guerrini wins $15M verdict in teen's death
- Specter featured on Super Lawyers magazine cover
- Tom Kline again No. 1 in PA, firm has nine named Super Lawyers
- PA Superior Court panel upholds $8.75M Blumer verdict
- Kline & Specter wins largest-ever Erie personal injury verdict, $21.6M
- Michael Smerconish joins Kline & Specter
- On TV ⇒ Kline, Inscho, Baldwin obtain $1.8M in psychologist sex case
- Kline & Specter named among Best Law Firms in U.S.
- Trunk, Zakeosian win $11.7 million against PHA and property manager
- Kline, Specter named among nation's 500 "Leading Lawyers"
- On TV ⇒ ESPN features the Plevretes case, Shanin Specter
- Best Lawyers names Tom Kline No. 1 Phila. personal injury attorney
- See more Kline & Specter stories in the news
As the partner heading up Kline & Specter’s Mass Tort Department, Lee B. Balefsky is involved in lawsuits dealing with a wide range of products and toxic substances, from pharmaceuticals such as Vioxx to defective medical devices, from asbestos to denture creams containing zinc.
Balefsky’s Mass Tort Department at Kline & Specter was recently named in Best Law Firms in the nation following a survey conducted by U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers. The "Tier 1" designation was awarded to only 22 law firms in the United States and was announced in the October 2010 issue of U.S. News & World Report.
Balefsky's three decades of experience in complex litigation puts him at the forefront of Mass Torts, a burgeoning area of the law whose genesis can be traced only as far back as the late 1960s and “mass accident” claims (generally airline mishaps) and to “Agent Orange” claims that arose in the 1970s over the herbicide used in the Vietnam War.
Balefsky has been active in mass tort claims in recent years involving asbestos and, most commonly today, pharmaceuticals and faulty medical devices such as transvaginal mesh surgical products. He currently serves as Plaintiff's Liaison Counsel in Philadelphia Vioxx litigation.
Balefsky's experience helped earn him a spot among “The Best Attorneys in Pennsylvania” as
Mass tort practice requires knowledge and the ability to handle several issues simultaneously, with cases often filed in both state and federal courts and with multiple plaintiffs and defendants. Clients are individually represented in mass tort cases but the system allows for centralizing and sharing of information, such as documents and depositions, among various parties in trials and settlement negotiations.
Balefsky’s department at Kline & Specter is currently representing clients in claims against the makers of prescription and over-the-counter medicines as well as cases involving asbestos, medical devices and MBTE, a gasoline additive that has been found to have polluted community water supplies.
In addition to his lead role with Philadelphia Vioxx cases, Balefsky has been named Philadelphia Mass Tort Program Liaison Counsel in cases targeting the diet drugs commonly known as Fen-Phen, as well as for cases involving PPA, an ingredient used in over-the-counter cold remedies. In that liaison role, he aids the court in case management while providing other attorneys with information in the various cases.
Balefsky’s Mass Tort Department recently obtained significant settlements in lawsuits against the makers of Baycol, Fen-Phen and PPA.
Over the past two decades, Balefsky has won numerous cases, particularly those in which clients were found to have contracted cancer because of their exposure to asbestos, a substance which still poses a danger to the general public and, most commonly, to workers at aging factories and facilities.
Balefsky is a member of the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee in Pennsylvania Diet Drug Litigation. He has lectured extensively in the area of pharmaceutical litigation. Balefsky is board certified in civil litigation by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is an active member of the American Association for Justice, the Pennsylvania Association for Justice and the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association.
A graduate of Temple University in 1974 and Wake Forest University Law School in 1977, Balefsky has been admitted to practice in the U.S. District Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania as well in the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court.