Posted: November 25, 2015

As parents head to the stores to buy toys for the holiday season, they should be aware of some that may be hazardous to their children.

As noted in an ABC-6 report, the Pennsylvania Public Interest Group (PennPIRG) had some disturbing findings when it recently examined hundreds of toys currently on store shelves. Many of the toys were revealed to present choking hazards for small children. (Watch the ABC-6 report)

PennPIRG focused particular concern on toys that contain button batteries, the tiny yet powerful lithium batteries can not only be swallowed but also burn holes in internal organs, notably cases in which a battery is trapped in a child’s esophagus. In all, there are roughly 5,000 emergency room visits each year in the United States due to children swallowing button batteries. (Learn more about button battery injuries)

Among potentially harmful toys, PennPIRG mentioned the Vtech Spin & Learn Color Flashlight and the Fisher Price Click n Learn Remote, which it cited as possible hazards to a child's hearing. Other toys that the group said could damage hearing are the Vtech Go! Go! Smart Wheels and the Vtech Go! Go! Smart Animals. In a customary warning, PennPIRG noted that balloons are the leading cause of choking hazards to children.

In its annual “Trouble in Toyland” report, Penn PIRG cautioned against toys with small parts, notably those with balls that can block a child's airway. The group suggested a simple test to determine whether a toy part is too small and presents a choking danger. Simply get an empty toilet paper roll and attempt to place the toy part through the roll. If it fits through, the part is too small for children less than three years old.

Kline & Specter, with more than 30 attorneys, five of whom are also medical doctors, handles cases involving button batteries and hazardous and defective toys. If your child suffered a severe injury while playing with a toy, you should call us a 215-243-1100 today. Or for more information, visit us at